Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Mediocrity

This is something I wrote in the past in regard to societal mediocrity and my own sense of it....

I see the political rhetoric "we the people" and "power to the people." And I ask myself: What do the people want? And I find myself answering: Most people want to be free to live the same mediocre lives their parents led.

And then I ask myself: What do I want? And I answer: I know what I don't want. What I don't want-- I don't want to live a mediocre, forgettable life. I'm confident of that. I don't want the trappings of their suburban death march. I don't want the ball and chain that is their children. I don't want the cage they call "work."

I do know one thing I do want-- I do want my husband. I was very lucky to find my soulmate amongst all these ghosts.

But what do I want for myself? What do I want to achieve? What am I striving for?
And then it comes to me--I am afraid of a different kind of mediocrity. What if I am not them, but at the same time, I am nothing? It's not enough to just not be like them. I want to be something. I don't want to be defined by what I'm not.

No comments:

Post a Comment